20 April 2010

Mr. Media

This is a poem I wrote in 2008. It was published with a picture I drew as well :) I'm kind of wary about posting my art on the internet, though. Sorry. But here is the poem.

My name is Mr. Media
Mr. Embrace Your Feminity (but cast off your curves)
Mr. Cute is What We Aim For, but now what you deserve.
Mr. "Love Your Body" if you're forty or above.
I've told the truth for ages,
About myself, about my mission
in small print on out of date cigar boxes.
My name is Mr. Media
But you can call me Mr. Moral Decline, Mr. Too Late This Time
I'm the fly on the wall,
while you do sit-ups on cold tile floors
And the laughing that you hear when you look at the before and afters
Mr. Guess Which You Are?
I'm the screams in the eyes of Bowflex bodies
And the creases in newly empty hospital beds
I'm the Munchausen mom of a thousand starving children
And the real girls in the magazines who aren't that real at all.
My name is Mr. Media
Mr. Pristine Beauty Queen, Nonexistent Self-Esteem!
Mr. Effortless Perfection Media.
I measure your self worth in calories and fat grams
Perched precariously on drugstore scales.
My name is Mr. Media
And I live inside your televisions and supermarket aisles.
My name is Mr. Media; My name is Mr Media
and I stole your self security.
My name is Mr. Media;
My name is Mr. Media.

No comments:

Post a Comment