13 April 2010

Queen Latifah for Covergirl

In February 2006 CoverGirl Cosmetics introduced a line of makeup specifically for African American women. They hired actress Queen Latifah to be the spokesperson. Although using her as a model wasn't an intentional move to include bigger women in public ad campaigns, it still was a step in the right direction, and a good sign that they would use her without considering how her size would affect their campaign. Because honestly, I'd be more likely to buy makeup that uses real-world spokesmodels rather than supermodels.

Actually, I think the fact that they use her with no regard to her size is better than using her JUST BECAUSE she's bigger. I think she's a naturally beautiful girl and it's great that Covergirl made the decision to use her. I read on the article where I got that picture that while her real name is Dana Owens, she chose the moniker Queen Latifah because it means sensitive or delicate in Arabic.

She was also featured on the cover of Glamour magazine, and here's a quote from her article: "I actually had a guy tell me yesterday, “You know what? You really, really inspire a lot of young women.” And for a guy to come up to you and say that, it just shows that it doesn’t just affect women. It affects the fathers and the brothers that are around these women, and care about them and want them to have self-esteem and confidence in the right things.
Just me being, you know my size and being on TV or being in a movie and succeeding is like, hey, if she can do it, I can do it. I can feel good about myself, because she feels good about herself. Sometimes you need that. I needed it growing up. I didn’t get it too often, because there weren’t a lot of people who looked like me, but luckily my mom and other friends, people along the way gave me that encouragement."

She's a wonderful role model!

No comments:

Post a Comment